When I made this recipe, honestly, I almost had to say a Novena after eating one! They are positively heavenly and sinful all at the same time. I saw the recipe on a great blog, My Baking Addiction and though they are a little messy to make, it’s worth it! Forget the diet for these Rolo Cookies!
The measurements are in US cup sizes and if you don’t have cup measures, just use a Converter. I would recommend though you pick up a set of cup measurements; they are cheap and easy to get in almost any supermarket and handy to have.
1+½ cups unsalted butter; softened
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
3+3/4 cup plain flour
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips (I mixed milk and dark)
3/4 cup chopped pecans – optional
30 Rolos; frozen at least 2 hours
If you use normal butter, just omit the salt from the recipe.
I froze the Rolos individually on a baking tray so they wouldn’t stick and would be easy to use when needed.
1. Heat oven to 350°F/180C. In large bowl, beat butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. I used a free standing mixer.
Mix in flour, baking soda and salt. Mix in chocolate chips and pecans if using. I used a large metal spoon to mix in the dry ingredients. Just check the bottom of the bowl to make sure all the flour is mixed in.
2. Measure dough using an ice cream scoop. I used a small one. Roll into a ball and then flatten in the palm of your hands. If you find the mixture too sticky to handle at this stage, place a bowl of flour next to you and dip your fingers in before making each ball.
3. Place a frozen Rolo in the center of the flattened dough ball and form dough back into a ball around the Rolo. Again having a bit of flour on your hands helps here. Roll them quickly and quite vigorously and they will form a ball.
4. Place Rolo stuffed balls into the freezer for 15-20 minutes before baking. I used the same baking tray the Rolos were frozen on.
5. On a cookie tin lined with parchment paper, place dough balls 2 inches apart. Give them space as they do spread.
6. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool for 2 minutes; remove from cookie tin to cooling rack. Make sure to leave them to cool for at least 2 mins before moving to a cooling rack.
I have a Fan Oven and 13 minutes was bang on.
You will love these cookies! They are just so gooey and delicious. Let me know how you get on when you try them and you have to try them!
Bake with love